Fellowship of the College of Otorhinolaryngology of South Africa (FCORL(SA))
Master of Medicine in Otorhinolaryngology (University of Cape Town)
MB,ChB (University of Stellenbosch)
Member of the ENT Society of South Africa
Registered with the Health Professions Council of South Africa
DR ANTON VAN LIEROP
Dr Anton van Lierop grew up in Cape Town and obtained his medical degree at the University of Stellenbosch in 1994. Following this he spent 2 years in the UK and one year in Brisbane, Australia gaining valuable medical experience while travelling extensively. He returned back to South Africa to start General Surgery training at the University of Cape Town. He started his ENT training at the University of Cape Town and obtained his FCORL (SA) and MMed degrees in 2006.
He completed a Rhinology and Head and Neck Surgery fellowship in Birmingham (UK) in 2007. During his time there he gained valuable international experience in the management of Head and Neck cancers and nasal and sinus surgery. He then relocated to Paarl in 2008 with his wife and 2 children and has been working as an ENT surgeon in Paarl since then.
Dr van Lierop is on the part-time faculty of the University of Cape Town in the Department of Otolaryngology where he has a special interest in Head and Neck Oncological Surgery. He is involved in training pre-graduate medical students and future ENT specialists.
He is a director of the Management Committee of the ENT Society of South Africa. This is the national governing body involved in promoting the interests of ENT surgeons in South Africa. He is also a member and vice-chairman of the Clinical Performance Committee of Mediclinic Paarl. This committee is responsible for decision making regarding clinical outcomes and well-being of patients treated at Mediclinic Paarl.
His special areas of interest are: Head and Neck Oncological Surgery, Voice problems, Snoring problems, Paediatric ENT Surgery, Nasal and Sinus Surgery, Otological Surgery, General ENT problems. He keeps up to date with advances in the field of Otolaryngology by attending local and international courses and congresses. Dr van Lierop is a member of the ENT Society of South Africa and registered with the Health professions council of South Africa.
During his spare time, he enjoys spending time with his wife and 2 children. He enjoys an outdoor lifestyle and pursues outdoor activities like trail running, mountain biking, cycling and golf.
Dr van Lierop is a reviewer for a number of international journals including Pediatrics International, International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology and British Journal of Medicine and Medical Reviews.
He received the following awards during his registrar training at the South African ENT National Congresses:
- 3rd Prize Registrar presentation at ENT Society of South Africa Annual Meeting, Port Elizabeth, 2004 for “Buccinator myomucosal flaps: clinical results and review of anatomy, surgical technique and applications."
- 2nd Prize Registrar presentation at ENT Society of South Africa Annual Meeting, Cape Town, 2006 for “Is diagnostic tonsillectomy indicated in all children with asymmetrically enlarged tonsils?”
Dr van Lierop is the author of numerous publications in International and National Journals:
- 1. Parotidectomy in Cape Town: a review of pathology and management. AC van Lierop, JJ Fagan. S Afr J Sur. 2007 Aug;45(3):96-98, 100, 102-103
- 2. Is diagnostic tonsillectomy indicated in all children with asymmetrically enlarged tonsils? AC van Lierop, CAJ Prescott, JJ Fagan, CC Sinclair-Smith. S Afr Med J 2007 May; 97(5):367-370.
- 3. Buccinator myomucosal flaps: clinical results and review of anatomy, surgical technique and applications. AC van Lierop, JJ Fagan. J Laryngol Otol. 2008 Feb;122 (2):181-187.
- 4. An investigation of the significance of Actinomycosis in tonsil disease. AC van Lierop, CAJ Prescott. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2007 Dec; 71(12):1883-8.
- 5. Is total glossectomy for advanced tongue carcinoma justified? AC van Lierop, O Basson, JJ Fagan. S Afr J Surg. 2008 Feb; 46(1):22-5.
- 6. Conductive hearing loss post head trauma: a review of ossicular pathology, management and outcomes. O Basson, AC van Lierop. J Laryngol Otol. 2008 May 19:1-5. [Epub ahead of print]
- 7. Peroral drainage of posttraumatic parotid sialocoeles. O Edkins, AC van Lierop, JJ Fagan, DE Lubbe. J Laryngol Otol. 2009 Aug; 123(8):922-4
- 8. Is routine pathological examination required in South African children undergoing adenotonsillectomy? AC van Lierop; CAJ Prescott. South African Medical Journal, Vol 99, Issue 11, Nov 2009: 805-809
- 1. Calvarial tuberculosis: a rare complication of tuberculous mastoididtis. AC van Lierop, N Jonas. Int J of Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol Extra 2007 Dec;2(4):218-221
- 2. Recurrent chordoma of the palate occurring in the surgical pathway: a case report. AC van Lierop, JJ Fagan, K Taylor. Auris Nasus Larynx. 2007 Nov 2; [Epub ahead of print]
- 3. A nasopalatine duct cyst presenting as a septal abscess: a case report. AC van Lierop, A Imbangu, W Mulwafu, JJ Fagan. Ear, Nose, Throat Journal. (In press, ENT journal)
- 4. Impacted knife blades in the ear, nose and throat: a report of 3 cases. AC van Lierop, O Raynham, O Basson, D Lubbe. J Laryngol Otol. 2008 April 3:1-5
- 5. Parotidectomy in Southern Africa: letter to the editor. AC van Lierop, JJ Fagan. S Afr J of Surg. 2007 Nov;45(4):152